Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with our Skillet Mac & Cheese featuring zucchini and pimiento. This creamy and cheesy dish combines classic macaroni and cheese with the goodness of sautéed zucchini and the tangy kick of pimiento peppers.
It’s a delightful twist on a beloved favorite that will leave your taste buds dancing. In this article, we’ll guide you through crafting this delectable and satisfying skillet mac & cheese that’s perfect for a cozy meal. Let’s get started!
Skillet Mac & Cheese
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) of elbow macaroni (or your choice of pasta)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup of diced pimiento peppers (from a jar, drained)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
Steps to Make
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the elbow macaroni and cook according to the package instructions until it’s al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced zucchini to the skillet and sauté for about 3-4 minutes until it’s tender and slightly caramelized. Remove the zucchini from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add the all-purpose flour and whisk continuously for about 1-2 minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually pour in the whole milk while continuing to whisk to avoid lumps.
- Cook the mixture for about 5-7 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked elbow macaroni, sautéed zucchini, and diced pimiento peppers to the skillet with the cheese sauce.
- Gently fold everything together until the pasta and vegetables are well coated with the creamy cheese sauce.
- If desired, garnish your Skillet Mac & Cheese with fresh parsley or chives for a pop of color and freshness.
- Serve your cheesy mac & cheese in individual plates or bowls while it’s hot.
In conclusion, our Skillet Mac & Cheese with Zucchini & Pimiento is the ultimate comfort food dish that combines the richness of macaroni and cheese with the added flavors of zucchini and pimiento.
It’s a perfect choice for a cozy and satisfying meal that will warm your heart and please your palate.
Can I use other types of pasta for this dish?
Yes, you can use your favorite pasta shape or variety if you prefer something other than elbow macaroni.
Can I use different types of cheese?
Absolutely! You can experiment with various cheeses to customize the flavor. Gouda, Monterey Jack, or Swiss can be great additions.
Can I make this dish vegetarian?
This dish is already vegetarian, but you can adjust it further by using vegetarian-friendly cheese and ensuring that the pasta doesn’t contain animal-derived ingredients.
Can I add other vegetables to the mac & cheese?
Certainly! Feel free to customize your mac & cheese with vegetables like broccoli, spinach, or bell peppers.
Is there a way to make this dish gluten-free?
You can use gluten-free pasta and a gluten-free flour blend in the cheese sauce to make this dish gluten-free.